The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Category: Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory: Security
Roles and responsibilities:
- Monitor third party security officers to enforce security/safety programs that enable the BHC assets to function according to the guidelines, quality standards, and operating procedures
- Ensure security provider is providing adequate supervision of security officers to deliver in accordance to the contract requirement.
- Ensure that those who should not be granted access to the mission are professionally and politely prevented from gaining access.
- Provide support in an emergency or evacuation situation, in a calm and professional manner actively provide information to emergency services when requested to do so.
- Monitor and respond immediately to alarm system activations to check designated areas of concern. Effectively use the BHC’s PA system to notify staff and visitors of situations or actions required of them.
- Ensure the effective control and maintenance of keys and security equipment including radios.
- Maintain all security related equipment and working areas to a high standard of cleanliness and safety and ensure all defects are reported.
- Deal with all suspicious packages, maintaining own and others safety and dealing with these in accordance with BHC procedures.
- Actively maintain the confidentiality of information to which Officers will be privy, be this around individuals or security sensitive information in relation to the Building, and using appropriate language, particularly within the public stage door working environment.
- Undertake any other duties as may reasonably be required by the Deputy Security Manager, Post Security Manager (PSM).
- Monitoring of CCTV and report any irregularities.
- Respond immediately to incident or security and medical emergencies by notifying emergency response providers, and rendering First Aid until emergency personnel arrive
- Perform minor maintenance tasks on security emergency vehicle as required.
- Perform minor vehicle repairs; skilled in reasoning to interpret policies and procedures, maps, and route directions; and ability to administer First Aid.
- Report defects or problems with vehicle to supervisor.
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date records on trip sheets, vehicle maintenance, fuel purchases, incident reports, accident reports, vehicle condition reports and other records that are requested from management.
- Keep the assigned vehicle(s) clean inside and outside.
- Check water, gas, oil and mechanical condition before leaving.
- Operate assigned vehicle in a safe and courteous manner.
- Maintain defensive driving.
- Patrol all British High Commission’s properties when on duty and report to the DPSM.
- Checking and ensuring all doors and gates are properly locked.
- Being able to run a shift duty performance i.e. working at night and at weekends as well.
- Work at odd hours and called on anytime there is an emergency to carry out
- Perform such other duties as may be required.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- A valid driving licence class C – F.
- Experience in a security-related role.
- Be flexible – hours can be unpredictable.
- Advanced written and spoken English.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Ability to speak and understand Ghanaian languages.
Required behaviours: Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Communicating and Influencing, Working Together
Application deadline: 26 July 2022
Type of Position: Permanent
Working hours per week: 35
Location (City): Accra
Type of Post: British High Commission
Number of vacancies: 1
Salary: GHS equivalent to USD 392.50
Start Date: 1 August 2022
Other benefits and conditions of employment
Learning and development opportunities:
The British High Commission in Ghana takes learning and development seriously. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to develop many core and transferable skills through both formal and informal learning and development opportunities. Members of staff are encouraged to make use of the learning and development opportunities that the office has to offer.
Working patterns: 35 hours per week
- All applicants must be legally able to work in Ghana with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- The successful applicant will demonstrate that they meet the requirements under Ghanaian law to work in Ghana.
- The British High Commission in Accra is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
- Staff recruited locally by the British High Commission in Accra is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Ghanaian employment law.
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Country Based Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.