MIRO Forestry Ghana is a vertically integrated, sustainable forestry and timber products business centered in West Africa. The company operates forestry plantations with over 30,000 hectares of land having commenced planting a mix of fast-growing timber crops in 2010. The company has established a forestry infrastructure and a proven management team.
- Company: MIRO Forestry Ghana
- Location: Ghana
- State: Accra
- Job type: Full-Time.
Reports to: Research & Development Manager
Direct Subordinates: Fieldworkers
Internal: Nursery Manager, HR Assistant, Planning Assistant, Foresters, and Stores Officer.
External: Stakeholders outside of the company
Main Purpose of Appointment:
- Select sites for trials
- Prepare sites for the trial establishment
- Demarcate and mark sites for trials
- Mark and place labels in trials
- Plant trials
- Fertilizer trials
- Maintain trials
- Collect data from trials
- Monitor pests and diseases in trials and plantation stands
Functions of Appointment:
Implement cost-effective and best methods of establishing, maintaining and assessing research trials (land preparation, tree establishment, fertilization, weeding, termite control, data collection, pest and diseases monitoring) according to research protocols.
- Assist in the selection of sites for establishing trials noting that each specific trial should be established on at least two different sites.
- Assist R & D Manager in Plus Tree selections for clone production.
- Coordinate seedling production for research with the Nursery Manager.
- Coordinate with Nursery Manager on clone production programme.
- Coordinate with Silviculture Forester to ensure land preparation on trial sites are properly done and that pre-planting weed control is achieved.
- Clearly demarcate and mark out boundaries of trials.
- Use specific trial design and place labels indicating trial replications and treatments.
- Establish each specific trial with correct species and at correct spacing following the trial design.
- Treated with appropriate chemicals against pest e.g. termites and crickets, before planting.
- Blank trials within one month of planting to ensure 100% stocking.
- Fertilize trials following the correct protocol and design paying attention to details.
- Properly maintain the established trials through manual and chemical weeding in collaboration with the Silviculture section.
- Conduct tree survival assessments of trials at six and twelve months.
- At year one (1) do corrective pruning i.e. removing multiple stems and conduct low pruning to 1 m height of each stem.
- Measure and assess trials for height and diameter and other required variables at prescribed schedules and submit data to Manager R & D for analysis.
- Monitor pests and diseases in trials and plantation stand and produce reports.
- Produce monthly progress reports of activities and submit to Manager R & D.
JOB HOLDER SPECIFICATION
Bachelor Degree in Forestry or Diploma in Forestry or Agro-forestry.
At least two years’ experience in Forestry, or Agro-forestry environment at field technical level.
Qualities and competencies:
- Ability to interpret trials designs.
- Competent in using GPS, Vertex, diameter calipers or tape.
- Computer literate
- Respond to requests and inquiries from employees and line management effectively and timeously.
- Maintain confidentiality at work
- Work independently in the absence of supervision
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Good planning and management skills.
- Good communication skills including the ability to motivate others.
- Persistence, innovative, initiative, self-motivation, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Expertise in use of relevant statistical packages for forestry data analysis.
“This job description is a guideline of key performance areas, but does not limit your activities to the content herein. Your role is to continuously add value to the company and carry out any reasonable instructions from management, thus ensuring that all teams meet Miro’ objectives.”
How to Apply for MIRO Forestry Ghana Recruitments
Interested applicants should submit CVs to email@example.com
Application Deadline: 15th July 2020.