The Regional Principal Counsel – Public Sector Operations, Policy and Governance Division purpose is to ensure compliance with the various policies and regulations of the Bank related to public sector operations.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, Public Sector Operations, Policy and Governance, the Regional Principal Counsel – Public Sector Operations, Policy and Governance Division will:
1. Ensure compliance of all operational activities with applicable Bank policies, rules and regulations.
2. Prepare and issue legal opinions on agreements, contracts and other formal arrangements for operational activities of the Bank Group and Special Funds with members and non-member countries, international organizations and governmental and non-governmental entities.
3. Provide legal assistance throughout the identification, preparation, appraisal, supervision and post-evaluation stages.
4. Assist in the design of projects and programs from inception to completion in compliance with the Bank’s policies, rules, and guidelines as well as minimize risks that may impede the achievement of desirable outcomes.
5. Participate in meetings and provide legal support to project teams including the structure of the project, type of financing instruments, terms of financing, implementation arrangements and compliance with the relevant Bank Group applicable policies, rules and regulations.
6. Draft and Negotiate financing agreements including loan agreements, grant agreements, guarantee agreements and co-financing agreements with other lenders.
7. Provide legal opinions on the effectiveness of financing agreements and the fulfilment of conditions precedent to disbursement including the review of documents submitted in fulfilment of loan and grant conditions.
8. Provide legal support and technical assistance to regional member countries and to regional and sub-regional institutions in connection with matters pertaining to the purpose, functions and activities of the Bank and to developmental issues and activities.
9. Provide legal support in the drafting of all operational policies, directives and instructions of the Bank Group and Special Funds.
10. Provide legal assistance in operations-related implementation activities of bilateral and multilateral cooperation arrangements related to public sector operations.
11. Draft Board resolutions pertaining to public sector projects and programs; and
12. Undertake such other assignments as required by the Division Manager, Public Sector Operations, Policy and Governance or the General Counsel.
1. Hold a Master’s degree in Law, and admission to the Bar of one of the Bank member countries; OR a Juris Doctor (JD) and admission to the Bar of one of the Bank member countries.
2. Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience in similar jobs in a law firm, a financial institution or a multilateral organisation.
3. High level skills in communication and negotiation as well as the ability to build partnerships with a broad range of clients and deliver results.
4. Seasoned knowledge of the current trends in development finance and familiarity with development and international finance
5. Strong skills in preparation of legal documents including briefs and confidential legal opinions, and conducting negotiations Effective advisory skills that enable clients and help resolve their legal questions.
6. Ability to deal with sensitive issues in a multi-cultural environment and to build effective working relations with colleagues.
7. Ability to work independently in a multicultural team.
8. Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English and/or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
9. Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications.