Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
To co-ordinate, perform and maintain changes to the process control system to maintain the gold production process at optimal target range.
- Build and develop a competent maintenance team capable of carrying out needed programming and / or engineering initiatives.
- Provide effective on-the-job training and coaching to ensure employees gain new skills and achieve their maximum potential.
- Deliver training to E&I personnel in PLC & SCADA tasks, aligning to Newmont’s safety, environmental and maintenance practices.
- Oversee that all machinery and control systems operated by Process Maintenance personnel is done safely and efficiently at all times.
- Accept personal responsibility for the health and safety of every employee under or assigned to his / her supervision.
- Conduct periodic safety meetings and inspections.
- Attend monthly safety inspection and meetings.
- Perform project programming, modifications and hardware modifications.
- Design and install retrofits to existing systems.
- Oversee that all modifications and programming changes are consistent with existing process control standards.
- Maintain records of all changes and modifications to Process Control Systems.
Training & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science / Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years’ experience in a process control and instrumentation environment.
- Strong knowledge of maintenance principles and industry standards.
- Strong knowledge of the work management process.
- Strong knowledge in PLC and SCADA control systems.
- Strong knowledge of maintenance plant equipment.
- Knowledge of Asset Management principles and practice.
- Knowledge of the statutory regulations relevant to safety and the environment for the mining industry.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong programming (PLC and SCADA), SQL Scripting skills.
- Strong Database Administration skills (PI Historian).
- Position is located in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to sit at a desk for extended periods, climb stairs, walk and stand.
- Work Environment: The noise level in the office work environment is minimal. Occasional exposure to noise, fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces etc.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask according to working conditions.