Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Heifer International Ghana country office is seeking a dynamic and recent graduate with a background in Market and Value-chain to contribute to a strategic body of work to support smallholder farmers toward a Living Income through community-led, demand-driven, and ecologically repair agricultural production.
The main purpose of the internship will be to support desk review/analysis of relevant publications and consolidate findings into one cohesive document.
Essential Character Traits
- Good skills in research and development
- Good organizational, interpersonal and communication in a multicultural working environment
- Well organized; able to meet deadlines
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Value Chain Analysis (100%)
- Support the process of compiling secondary analyses and data inputs that informs the identification, analysis, validation, and prioritization of value chains of interests working in close collaboration with the MEL’s Manager and ICD
- Review relevant documents and familiarize with secondary literature on value chain of interest
- Maintain and update the literature catalog and dropbox as new source documents are identified, adding any missing fields to ensure ease of access and navigation
- Daily debriefs/meetings with the ICM and MEL Manager
- Set of PowerPoint slides and a report synthesizing and summarizing the major findings from all secondary sources
- Master’s degree in agriculture economics, agricultural marketing, development economics or related field. PhD will be an advantage.
- Overall knowledge of issues related to agricultural trade, agricultural marketing systems development and/or value chains
- Experience required of at least one years within an international organization, government agency, NGO, or development projects preferably in Ghana and preferably in conjunction with the agricultural sector.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Good analytical and writing skills.
- Familiarity and demonstrated interest with livestock value chains
- Having a good command of English
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- Long time spent sitting, presenting, working independently,
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality