Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
To provide mining operation Geotechnical Engineering and hydrological support related to the design and construction of key features within the mine (i.e. Pit Walls, Waste Dump and TSF) that contribute to the ongoing economic sustainability of the operation. These include: Geotechnical & Hydrological field investigations, monitoring programs, scheduling, data acquisition, modeling and interpretation, and preparation of technical reports.
- Lead construction quality control and quality assurance activities (QA/QC) for the construction of key Geotechnical and Hydrological infrastructural aspects on the mine.
- Lead geotechnical and hydrological instrumentation monitoring and data collection activities; structural mapping, pit dewatering rate and core logging.
- Oversee the continuous monitoring of pit walls through visual inspections and instrumentation to for warn any potential instabilities.
- Conduct verification tests and analysis of the pit walls, waste dumps and stockpiles, ensuring the safety of personnel and equipment.
- Provide, implement and review mine design parameters for current and future pit, waste dumps and other facilities on the mine.
- Monitor the dewatering wells network to ensure efficient production and desired drawdown outcomes.
- Supervise geotechnical and hydrological instrumentation installations in the mine area including prism installation, core drilling, VWP installation and dewatering wells.
- Meet mining objectives and conform to Newmont mining standards, geotechnical and operational physical standards to promote safe mining operations within legislative guidelines.
Training & Experience
- Bachelors’ Degree in Geotechnical/Geological/Civil Engineering.
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years’ experience in an Open Pit Mining environment, with a solid background in Geology and Hydrology.
- Experience with Geotechnical and hydrological Software .
- Experience with MineSight.
- Goal Orientated.
- Safety Conscious.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Person will work in an office setting with regular visits to operational areas.
- Work Environment: The noise level in the field is not usually in excess of 85 decibels. Incumbent is occasionally exposed to noise, fumes, high temperatures, hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, unpaved pathways, pinch-points, extreme vibration, excavators and drilling rigs, slippery surfaces.