The Office of the UN World Food Programme (WFP) Accra invites applications from suitable candidates to fill the vacancy below.
Job Title : Driver
Duration : Fixed Term (1 year renewable)
Post Grade : G2
Duty Station : Airport, Accra
To provide efficient and safe transportation of authorized personnel and/or commodities
Under the direct supervision of the UNHRD Depot Manager and the overall supervision of the Country Director, the Driver will be expected to perform the following duties
1.Provide transportation of authorized personnel including translation of basic conversations from/to the local language, and/or delivery of various items/commodities following authorized routing and UN safety and security rules and regulations to ensure safe and efficient services.
2. Meet official personnel and visitors at the airport or other entry points and provide basic assistance with visa and customs formalities to facilitate smooth and safe entry and arrival to the authorized destinations.
3. Responsible for accurate maintenance of the vehicle log books, and daily reporting to the supervisor on mechanical status, to ensure efficient vehicle use and fuel consumption supporting accurate accounting and cost-efficiency.
4. Responsible that the assigned vehicle is kept clean and in a good condition including all equipment, the maintenance is done on time, vehicle is fully equipped with required (valid) vehicle document, travel authorizations and supplies, and any mechanical issues are reported to the supervisor to ensure safe and efficient services.
5. Follow established rules and regulations for field deliveries and/or in cases of an accident, and report immediately to the supervisor on any apparent problems, to seek for instructions and facilitate informative decisions on the way forward.
6. Outside driving duties, perform basic office related tasks such as filing, photocopying and maintaining spare parts when required including delivery/collection of various items, mailing service and payment of office telephone and other bills to ensure administrative support to clients.
7. Perform any other duties as required.
Knowledge and Skills :
10.Ability to demonstrate a client-oriented approach, high sense of
responsibility, courtesy and tact.
STANDARD MINIMUM ACADEMIC QUALIFICATION:
Completion of secondary school education/Middle School Leaving Certificate (MSLC). Formal drivers training with a valid driver’s license/certification to operate assigned vehicle following local rules and regulations
Two or more years of work experience as a Driver, preferably in an international organization, embassy or UN system with a demonstrated safe driving record. Experience in driving a variety of makes and models of vehicles, including vans, trucks and other kinds of motorized vehicles.
Experience in defensive driving and vehicle mechanics is desirable
Fluency in English language.
Applicants should submit their applications and CV stating 3 references online to: www1.wfp.org/careers/job.openings and follow the steps.
Qualified Female Candidates are encouraged to apply
Only shortlisted candidates meeting the criteria will be contacted.