Reports to: Finance and Administration (F&A) Officer
Location: Kumasi, Ghana
Status: Full time, Regular
The Accountant will be responsible for accounting activities to include financial reports, bank reconciliations, general ledger entries, auditing field office vouchers, and other general accounting functions. He/she will also ensure field-based adherence to donor and Winrock financial policies and procedures, regulations, controls, and reporting systems.
- Perform accounting activities to include financial reports, bank reconciliations, general ledger entries, and other general accounting functions;
- Assist F&A Officer in implementing and maintaining in-country policies, procedures, forms, and record maintenance systems that adhere to Winrock International, donor, and Government of Ghana standards and requirements;
- Assist the F&A Officer set up strong internal controls and ensure that it is maintained across the project;
- Assist F&A Officer to generate, record, execute and reconcile payments through all stages, including preparation of purchase orders, generation of check and wire requests, data input into financial management software (QuickBooks, Excel, etc.) and bank statement reconciliation;
- Assist F&A Officer to develop monthly projections for cash flow needs and prepare request to Winrock, follow through on receipt of funds and bank reconciliations;
- Help review all expense supporting documentation for accuracy, relevance, and legitimacy in line with Winrock policies and ensure that expenses are reasonable, allocable and necessary before processing for payment;
- Prepare monthly payroll for staff, including helping review staff timesheets for proper signatures and allocation information; calculating all salaries, income tax obligations; and recording all relevant accruals, including fringe, bonuses, gratuities, etc. in compliance with signed employee agreements;
- Help reconcile all banks accounts and petty cash no less than monthly and report any discrepancies to F&A Officer;
- Reconcile liability and asset accounts monthly and prepare supporting schedules and trackers;
- Organize and maintain all project financial and accounting records and files in accordance with Winrock policies, general audit standards (GAAP), and donor requirements;
- Field Office Voucher (FOV): Assist F&A Officer to prepare soft copy of the monthly FOV;
- Compile and prepare for submission the hard copy of FOV with all necessary documents;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field
- Three years minimum accounting and/or auditing experience preferably in a nonprofit or international development environment
- Knowledge and experience with financial management and reporting requirements.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with accounting systems/packages
- Knowledge and understanding of tax laws and compliance
- Ability to use good judgment and professionalism; experience in decision-making
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent Microsoft Excel skills and experience with accounting software (QuickBooks preferred)
- Experience with international donor regulations preferred
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to interact with international employees
- Strong skills in internal controls and accounting standards
Winrock is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and value diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law.